Sunday, January 7, 2018

Our Weekend....

I think staying in bed all day Friday helped me to feel better on Saturday!


I even made up the bed!!
But I didn't go crazy with tearing into the house cleaning or undecorating.
In the late afternoon, I did got out on a few errands.
Picked up a Rx and stopped by the $ Store for a couple of things and got two more big tubs to use when I take down all the Christmas 'debris.' That's what Louis Dean calls it, anyway.


While I was out, I decided to go for a walk.
I walked the first and second days of January.
Then I was busy the next two days and sick on the fifth day.
So on the sixth day I walked at North Lake Collage.
I couldn't resist going in to see the pool.
They have completely redone the roof and updated the shower and bathrooms.
Amber swam with The Pirouettes of Texas synchronized swimming team for 11 years....from 1992 to 2003.


Over the years I have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours at the pool and walking the trail around the lake.


I loved those years and I remain especially fond of the smell of chlorine!
It takes me right back to Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6-8 pm and longer.
Some nights Amber practiced until the pool closed at 10:00.
Saturday mornings were 6-11 am and I admit I would drop her off and came back at a more reasonable hour! Amber's coach, Megan, would bring her home since I taught art class around the dining room table, but on Thursdays I would sit in the van for the 6-7 hour. I graded school work or studied for the next day. I home schooled both Amber and Benjamin until they started college. 


Always, I listened to Karl Haas's syndicated program, "Adventures in Good Music" on the classical radio station WRRR.


I looked forward to the theme song and his opening words......

The theme music for Adventures in Good Music was the second movement from Beethoven's "Pathétique" Sonata (Sonata No. 8 in C minor), performed by Haas. Haas started every show with his trademark greeting "Hello everyone", and later entitled a track of his CD with those words. For several years the program had the most listeners of any classical music radio show in the world.[5]
From Wikipedia



I could feel myself relax listening to the program.
Often I would take a thermos of hot coffee and a snack.
Since I was driving a big Chevy Van Conversion - I could have LIVED in that van and practically did! - it was almost like I was in my sitting room.
I kept a basket of snacks and bottled water in there as well as comfy pillows and covers.
It was my home away from home!
I continued to listen to Karl Haas and his Adventures in Good Music until he died in 2005.

I may have been walking the trail at North Lake Collage but I was actually walking down Memory Lane.

When I got home, I decided to take the Christmas down in the gazebo and dress it for the winter.


I bought the plaid tablecloths on clearance after Christmas and the moose pillows came from Goodwill last week. I added green pine garland on the rail behind our chairs - which is the railing from our very first gazebo in 2006!


The colored net lights will stay for another month or so because Louis Dean loves them so much.


I'm putting all the pine cone debris I come across in the gazebo and calling it a 'Woodland' theme.


The weather has warmed up so I sat out there for an hour after I got it all done.
I suppose I love my gazebo in much the same way I loved my van.

I went to church this morning and then went out to eat with Amber, Mike and the quads.
Louis Dean stayed home because Cousin Joe (who lives across the street) was coming to repair my washing machine which went out the week before Christmas,
Turns out - there was nothing wrong with it!!
Apparently, the last load - which had a small rug in it - got off balanced and threw a sensor or something. Joe didn't even had to reset anything. He simply turned it on and then he and Louis Dean talked and watched football while the machine went through its cycle. Win! WIN!!!

When I got home the kitchen was strewn with all the 'stuff' that had been on the washer!
I had already taken Christmas down in there - except for the tiny tree which will become a wine cork tree! - so now I all I had to do was put it all back. It's like a jigsaw puzzle!

I've decided to leave the house decorated until we get back from the ranch so I vacuumed and straightened things up. We hope to leave on Wednesday.

Summer, Sabrina and Rayne flew home today!


They had the best time!!
Summer visited the 9-11 Memorial.
Sabrina and Rayne spent Friday night in the museum.


They did lots of things together and then would split up so Summer could get some rest and then all meet back up again for dinner or a play and such.


It was an incredible trip and they loved every single minute of it!
I picked them up at the airport tonight and they were still glowing about what fun they had!
However, they all agreed that it is nice to not be cold!
And they won't have to dress in so many layers that they feel claustrophobic now!!

I think I will go out to the den and watch Madame Secretary with Louis Dean before we go to bed.
It started raining around 3:00 this afternoon and has just about stopped now.
Earlier you could hear the thunder roll - not something you usually hear in January!
And just maybe I will spend a few minutes sitting out in the gazebo.
I love it out there.
Just me and my book for a little quiet time......


P.S.
Louis Dean did a video.....


18 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

I absolutely love seeing your posts pop on my feed--you are a breath of fresh air. Busy as usual, but I can honestly say that I identify most with you when you have days of energy and accomplish, so, so much. And then you listen to yourself and take a day in bed. Not a nap--a day! I have and do, and feel a bit like a sloth. But hey, we make our own decisions. My crazy virus makes the bottom drop out somedays. Hubby and the kids don't get it. But I'm finally saying, "That's fine. Now leave me alone!"

Sending love!

Jane

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

What a lovely post. I’m so glad you both are feeling better!

We returned today from our anniversary trip to a surprise anniversary party!

It was lovely!

Linda said...

I learned a very long time ago that the sooner you jump into bed when you begin feeling sick, the sooner you’ll jump out of bed feeling well.

Ginny Hartzler said...

We love Madam Secretary! I was sad to see Dimitri leave tonight. I have always loved this Beethoven song, but never knew what it was! So nice to listen to it as I read your blog. You sure had a walk back in time! Walking through all your memories. I especially like the bridge and beach grass picture.

BeachGypsy said...

Howdy there Linda, so glad Summer and them made it home safely and I bet they sure had some fun adventures in NYC!--so much to see and do there, alot to take in. A great big adventure for sure! Sorry it was so dang cold on them tho!!...but looks like they made the best of it. Your all's gazebo looks so nice and I love the lights too! Glad you're feeling better!

Miss Dishywoo said...

Play it, L.D.! He's so cool.

Bluebird49 said...

I am sure NYC was exciting, but I have no urge to go! I've never been to a big city, so I'm sure that would amaze (and frighten!) This country girl. Glad they had fun, though!
The gazebo looks so inviting and warm; I know you all enjoy it out there. Bet even after you've been at the ranch, you love going in there on your return.
Hope Amber is okay now, and you and Louis are rested up for your trip.
Church was cancelled today because the secondary roads were icy. Last night, it got down to -11°. The coldest we can remember it n our lives! I am so thankful we have had power and warmth, (and we stocked up on things last Weds.), and food. I know not having the Internet would have been a drag, but I've picked up my knitting needles again. I am not pleased with the color--which is called "Blue Lime". It is a very soft worsted by Malabrigo, but it's not what I'd really choose for a scarf for me! Anyway, it has sort of gotten me back to it, but I don't think my eyesight will ever let me knit socks again. :(
Be safe, and tell Louis to keep pickin'!

Arlene G said...

I am glad I can take off some of my layers this week Linda. I am NOT a cold weather girl. I am meeting up with my girlfriends at Cracker Barrelt his morning and I am looking forward to sitting by the big fireplace there. Have fun at the ranch. One more week until we head to Grimmwood. We are blessed girls to have the best of both worlds.

NanaDiana said...

I love catching up with you, Linda. I got most of my Christmas stuff down, too, but need to pick up a couple more bins.

We had a Chevy Conversion van at one time, too, and I just loved it. It was so comfortable...not great on gas but it was wonderful for family usage.

Hope you have a great week and I am glad you are feeling better. xo Diana

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It must be wonderful to be outside in your gazebo and going for walks. It seems like I've been cooped up here forever due to the cold. The only walks I've been getting are at the grocery store. When my children were young I had a van too. It was a necessity so all of us go anyplace at one time. It seated all 8 of us and occasionally fit in one or two more. It really came in handy with moving them back and forth to college dorms too. Now I have a small little Ford focus which is just perfect for me. I bet you are overjoyed at having your washer working especially since it didn't cost a cent. Hope your Monday is a wonderful one!

Anonymous said...

you write the best posts, I enjoy everyone! I look forward to the next!!

Tina said...

I'm a newish reader of your blog, well I've been reading for a little while but don't comment much so I've decided to try to change that in 2018! You're such a wonderful storyteller I feel like I know you and your family after only a short time! I enjoyed the story about your history at the college and your daughter's swimming years. I also homeschooled both of my sons until college! One is out on his own working and the other is just finishing up his degree! Glad you and Louis Dean are feeling better and the weather is warming up for you! Have a wonderful day!

Susie said...

LInda, I love reading about the days when your children were little. Some times trips down memory lane are good. :) Glad Summer is home with her family and safe. Also happy they went to the memorial of 911. I loved the way the gazebo looks all cozy and pretty with the lights and woodland theme. Great video of LD. That man loves his music. :) Blessings to all, love you, xoxo, Susie

MadSnapper said...

I love the washer 'fix' what a blessing that was. and i am betting that van you lived in was decorated with debris. i took down my debris today to, took about 20 minutes HA HA... that is a fantastic pool, i am trying to get the man watching the 24/7 news to come down the hall and look at it. he would love to swim in it. i to like to wander down memory lane, yours and mine

Debby said...

I learn something new about you in every post. So glad you are both better. Your home is always magicall.
I didn't know you could stay overnight at the memorial. Is Summer feeling okay. NYC had to be fun but chilly.
Stay well.
❤️

Linda said...

Not the 9-11 Memorial. Sabrina and Rayne stayed all night at the Science museum.....like the movie....

Vee said...

That was some sweet pickin’ right there and Louis Dean has a tender heart when he can say that beautiful song is the prettiest song he ever heard. 💕

Luann said...

Love the music. I learned to LOVE classical music when I worked at a dental clinic in the early 80"s. The dentist I worked with always played it and it did relax our patients. That was a gift I had never considered but am so glad I discovered.